Norms: fundamental work
CB is a major player in the work initiated under the various standardisation organisations, whether at the national level (French standardisation association or AFNOR), the European level (European Committee for Standardization or CEN) or internationally (International Organization for Standardization or ISO).
These organisations define the standards relating to all the links in the CB system, such as:
- The card media,
- The various technologies present in the card, such as those for the contact or contactless smartcard,
- The interface with the reader,
- The management of the confidential code,
- The messages between the merchant’s bank and the cardholder’s bank,
- The NFC technology allowing mobile telephones to make contactless transactions,
- The user interface for card systems, to offer the best accessibility possible, etc.
“CB” presides over several AFNOR standardisation commissions, the European inter-sectoral committee on cards, personal identification and digital signatures (CEN/TC224), and the ISO group that defines the standards for the contact smartcard used throughout industry and user sectors.